Will mental health days increase the performance of employees?
Recently ‘The View’ did a segment on employers and the possibility of “mental health” days being included in employees’ benefits. In the clip below, the ladies discuss the concept of utilizing designated “sick days” to focus on and tend to their mental well being. This posed the question of whether or not companies should implement “mental health” days within the workplace.
Check out the FULL clip after the jump:
It has been proven that when people are not at their best mentally, it can affect their emotional and physical health. According to an article written by Lindsay Kolowich titled Why Overworking Is Bad for Your Health (And Who’s to Blame), people who are overworked can become ill. In fact, being overworked in combination with lack of proper care for one’s mental heath can affect the body in many different ways such as:
- Impairs your sleep: This can be a result to stress, constantly staring at a computer, and just enough time to relax.
- Get in way of GOOD habits: People become dependent on caffeine and make unhealthy food choices.
- Bad for your heart: Studies have shown that work long hours are 40% more likely to suffer from coronary heart disease. They can also suffer from heart disease and non-fatal heart attacks.
To give their all, employees must be at their BEST. The essence of employees began to shine through when they are mentally in a good space. They began to see their weaknesses as strengths and they become excited about what they are doing. Many feel “burned out” because they are feeling overworked but underpaid. Why does this problem exist? Is it because most people are working for a paycheck and not in their passion? Let’s do a challenge. Ask yourself these 3 questions:
- What career am I passionate about?
- Am I currently working my dream job?
- If I could work in the career of my choice, what would it be and why?
Purpose is the key to unlocking that part of the brain that will dare people to dream. How can employers fix this problem? Is it Are there any solutions that can be offered?
What are your thoughts?
Let us know in the comments below!